I currently work in private practice as an IBCLC and as a doula. I am currently available for lactation office visits at the Pasqua South Medical Clinic or alternatively I can book visits in your home.

For office visits please call 306-525-6837
For in home consults call 306-550-6143 or email kasmith@accesscomm.ca
For doula inquires call 306-550-6143 or email kasmith@accesscomm.ca

For more information visit my website

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Being an IBCLC is more than passing an exam, for me

Certainly, the defining markers of an IBCLC are that she has fulfilled the learning requirements, put in the hours observing and assisting, and ultimately passed the IBCLC exam. Passing that exam is important, make no mistake, but the journey does not end with a passing mark.

Frankly, I have learned much more since passing the exam than I had preparing for it. I thought I knew it all when I decided I was ready to write. OK not all; I had some refining to do, but I knew a lot. So, I refined. I felt ready to kick exam butt, with just the right amount of stress and worry to to indicate that I am human.

But one does not know what they don’t know, now do they? I soon learned that I knew a lot but that I had much, much more to learn. My “standard” theoretical answers were not the practical answers, or at least they did not get to the root of the issues I was seeing. Granted, I helped those moms and babies get by and meet goals, but I felt that there must be a better way. In my heart of hearts, even when moms and babies were happier, making it, doing well, I could feel that their breastfeeding relationships were not as peaceful or fulfilling as they could be.

With each new family and obstacle I learned more, and this continues to be true.

Each time I can get to an education event, I go.

Each opportunity I have to listen to a webinar, I listen.

But, most importantly, I listen to moms. How I interact with moms in my practice is unique. Not unique to me specifically, but it is not the normal practice of the other health care workers that those mothers will interact with.

I don't give moms 15 minutes of my time and walk out the door. I usually have 2 hours. This quality time is so important.

I follow up with my moms. I see the outcome of our work and time together. Is what I suggested working for them? Has it worked for others in the past? Why not this time? How is this mom and baby different from another seemingly similar situation?

I generally do not stop providing care until they are happy and content with their individual situations.

This is their relationship. I am an invited visitor, and one who is honoured to be so.

From a personal standpoint, my livelihood depends on the outcomes and happiness of my clients. If my clients are not happy, it is a lose-lose situation. They lose out on a contented breastfeeding relationship, I lose out on their word-of-mouth recommendations, and my family loses out on my income. This is not a 'side gig'. There is no job with benefits awaiting me if I fail. There is no paycheck for just showing up and seeing who I might be able to help that day. I must create the best me for my myself, for my clients, and for my family.

No comments: