I currently work in private practice as an IBCLC and as a doula. I am currently available for lactation office visits at the Pasqua South Medical Clinic or alternatively I can book visits in your home.

For office visits please call 306-525-6837
For in home consults call 306-550-6143 or email kasmith@accesscomm.ca
For doula inquires call 306-550-6143 or email kasmith@accesscomm.ca

For more information visit my website

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Labor/Birth Doula

 

Also called a childbirth or labor assistant, a labor/birth doula is a trained woman who will stay with you throughout labor and birth. The word "doula" is a Greek word meaning "woman caregiver".
Labor/birth doula's attend to the emotional and physical comfort needs of laboring women to smooth the labor process. A labor/birth doula gives you information about what is happening to you, facilitates communication between you and medical staff and supports your decisions. She makes suggestions on how you can best cope with labor and what will help labor progress smoothly.
As a labor/birth doula we will have 2 or more visits before the birth so that I can get to know you, and learn about your preferences, priorities and concerns. I can assist in writing your birth plan or preferences.
At the time in your labor that you need me I will join you and stay with you throughout your labor and birth of your baby and for about 2 hours after the birth. We will have at least one visit after the birth to review the experience. In addition, I am available by phone or email both before and after the birth for help, nonmedical advice, referrals or just to listen.
Doulas don't participate in any of the medical aspects of your care. Cost for doula services with breastfeeding support is $700

No comments: