I currently work in private practice as an IBCLC and as a doula. I am currently available for lactation office visits at the Pasqua South Medical Clinic or alternatively I can book visits in your home.

For office visits please call 306-525-6837
For in home consults call 306-550-6143 or email kasmith@accesscomm.ca
For doula inquires call 306-550-6143 or email kasmith@accesscomm.ca

For more information visit my website

Thursday, January 31, 2013

What can you expect from a consult?


Ever wonder why a breastfeeding consult take so long? Often times people expect it to just be 15 or 20 minutes. Check a latch and make some corrections, right? Maybe get a weight?  Wrong. The more I learnt the lengthier my visits needed to become.



So what can you expect in the two or so hours we might spend together?


First, I do an overall physical assessment of mom and baby(ies). This is an exam of mothers breasts, positions, posture, birth injuries, physical restrictions, etc. Anything that might affect mothers comfort or ability to produce milk I will note and take in to consideration. 

I do a physical exam of baby looking for things like torticollis, structure alignment, tone, and an oral assessment. Baby is an equal participant in breastfeeding and so we need to ensure s/he can be her/his best self when feeding.

We will do a collective assessment of mom & baby were we look at history from birth to where we are today. Babies birth and early days can have a big impact on breastfeeding, from birth position to hospital treatments. "Small" things can have "big" impact. 



I observe positioning and latch & baby feeding without interference as to observe what is currently
happening. Then I give feedback about what I observe and give pointers and help make changes that may improve the situation.

I provide a written Immediate Lactation Care Plan after this. I provide a Comprehensive Lactation Care plan which follows via email. Mother receives a couple follow up phone calls/e-mails if needed. Any referrals and reports that need to be made/sent are made and sent.

I can provide much the same care via distance. Pictures, videos and written history or a skype/phone conversation works also. It might add a few more "hurdles" but overall it can work very well...better than no support, right? 

No comments: